Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tecnifibre Razor Code String Review (Leave a Comment to enter to win one of 5 free sets)

My second string review is Tecnifibre's new string Razor Code. I used the 17 gauge version of this string. I strung it up on a Wilson BLX Six One Pro Staff 100L at 58 lbs in the mains. I crossed this string with my baseline synthetic gut (Genesis Blizzard 16 gauge) also at 58 lbs. I string my racquets using a Top of the Line Wilson Baiardo constant pull machine. I pull my tie off knots at 15% above reference tension to help limit the amount of tension loss when tying knots. I use a parnell knot for tie offs and a starting knot for my first cross. The Dynamic Tension (DT) according to my Beers ERT 300 was 42. After four weeks of play, the DT was 35.

In the videos below, I played a practice match and unfortunately, the rally's were pretty short. That's typically how a match goes for me when I play against a player with a similar game to mine. We both are power players and generally unforced errors decide who wins the match since we both can hit winners. In the 2nd video, we played some tug of war with one of us feeding a ball and then rallying. We have much longer points in the 2nd video.

Here's some of the specifications that this string has to offer. Below is a table showing the Stiffness and Tension loss of this string. String stiffness was measured by the United States Racquet Service Association (USRSA). Typically, the stiffer the string, the less power, but more control. Also, the stiffer the string, the less feel and typically the harsher it will feel on your arm, elbow and shoulder. If you have any arm, elbow or shoulder problems, playing with a stiff string can have a negative impact. Of course, you can hybrid stiffer strings with softer strings to lessen how stiff they feel.


Name                                           Material      Size in (mm)    Stiffness lb/in      Tension Loss
Tecnifibre Razor Code 16         Polyester        1.30                      278                     18.59
Tecnifibre Razor Code 17         Polyester        1.25                      252                     16.43
Tecnifibre Razor Code 18         Polyester        1.20                      239                     11.77

Now, let's talk about some of the pros and cons of this string:

Pro's:
  • Power (Provides ample power and a nice crisp response)
  • Durability (Seems to last fairly long with minimal signs of wear)
  • String movement is minimal
  • Provides controlled power. 
Con's:
  • Feel (This string is a little stiff and touch shots can be harder to feel)
Ratings are on a scale of 1-100.
Power: (77)
It definitely provides some pop. Although, not as much as natural gut or some multifilament strings, this string is powerful for a poly. During my playtest, I noticed that I could really punish the ball on my groundstrokes and put balls away with ease. I was able to hit out on the ball without fear of over hitting and the ball flew true. I could overhit and hit the ball out if I wasn't completely careful because the spin generated is good, but it was not overwhelming.

Spin: (75)
I think this string has better than average spin potential, but does not necessarily provide added spin. If you already hit with spin, this string won't add much more. If you are a relatively flat hitter looking for a string to help you add spin to your strokes, then I would look elsewhere. I also noticed that my kick serves did not bite as much as a textured or shaped poly. Although spin was not a significant part of this strings appeal, there was ample spin produced to still make it outperform synthetic guts and multi- filaments. 

Comfort: (82)
This string is a poly, so it is going to be stiffer than other string materials. With that being said, I have recently had shoulder surgery (May 2012) and I find that this string is very comfortable on the arm for a poly. I don't have any pain or soreness in my arm, elbow or shoulder after playing with this string. I also didn't notice any fatigue while using this string.

Control: (86)
I really felt in control with my groundstrokes on this string. When I hit the sweet spot, the ball really came off the stringbed nicely and I was able to hit the ball where I wanted. On mishits though, I felt that the ball could really get away from me. Overall though, I really felt I could swing freely and the ball would stay in the court. 

Serves: (78)
Since this string provides more control, I was really able to hit my spots with my flat serve and the ample power provided allowed me to hit some aces, which I need for my style of play. I did struggle to get the ball in the box on second serves. I found that if I didn't quite hit the ball properly, it would sail on me and go long. Although this string does provide enough spin to keep the second serve in the box, I had a little less margin of error then I would have liked.

Volleys: (72)
Volleying was decent, but this string does not pack as much punch as other strings, so I had to ensure my volley technique was solid. Anything less really got me in trouble as the ball would sit up. I also noticed that the crisp feel of the string really muted any power I could generate on volleys. Although the string did not significantly impact volleys negatively, it didn't really help them either.

Durability and Tension Loss: (92)
I am not someone who breaks strings often, but I can tell you that these strings showed minimal wear after 4 weeks of play testing. I average 2 to 3 hours per session and hit about 4 to 5 sessions per week. The strings did not break or show any signs of breaking. The starting DT was 42 and after 4 weeks, the DT was 35. This bodes well for tension loss. I really felt that the string performed well and didn't notice a significant decline in performance as it lost tension. Ironically, the lower tension actually helped add some more power and punch to my volleys.

String Movement: (88)
These strings barely moved. I was really impressed with how little they moved. This is probably why they lasted a good amount of time and showed minimal wear after 4 weeks.

Overall Score: (81.25)

Convenient Table:

Category
Rating
Power
77
Spin
75
Comfort
82
Control
86
Serves
78
Volleys
72
Durability and Tension Loss
92
String Movement
88
Overall Average
81.25



Summary:
I think Tecnifibre RZR Code is a quality string that can be used by a variety of players. However, because of the strings crisp response and control oriented nature, I would recommend this string for baseliners, counterpunchers and all court players. I am not convinced that a serve and volleyer would get enough punch from their volleys with this string. I really enjoyed this string and I really liked the crisp feel. If you like a crisp feeling string, this is definitely worth a playtest.

If you are having problems finding the right string or you are curious about what string would best suit your game, I am committed to helping you solve this problem. Please leave a comment below or email me stringrx@gmail.com. I will personally work with you to help you find the best combination for you personally. Yes, just in case you were wondering, I will help you for FREE!!

Please leave a comment below on your thoughts of my review and if you have played with this string. Please include what racquet you strung it in, the tension and your thoughts.

I also plan on giving away several sets of this string to a few lucky people who leave comments. Even if you haven't tried this string, leave a comment to be entered into the giveaway. It can be as simple as "Please Enter Me in the Drawing". I will do a random drawing and post a video of the actual random drawing and the winners on YouTube on July 18th 2013. Deadline to enter is July 14th 2013.

Videos:

Part 1 The Warm Up
                                         


Part 2 Match Play
                                         

Part 3 Rallying
                                          
Part 4 Actual String Review
                                          

9 comments:

  1. I like the string a lot. I use it on the Blade 93 (2013) @ 48 lbs. I'm a 5.5 all court player.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Taylor. I actually just bought some 18 gauge to see if it helps the spin potential. I enjoyed the string as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for letting me enter i heard about it from robs. please enter me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi can you enter me into the drawing. my name is julie and i am a pretty competive junior player, who plays with a wilson juice 100 strung with tecnifibre red code, however i am also intrested in trying some new strings and think razor code would be great for my game since i like to hit a lot of winners. Thanks and i hope i win

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,

      Thanks for the post. I think razor code might be a string right up your alley.

      Dan

      Delete
  5. Great review, thanks!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed your blog T7hanks for sharing such an informative post read more

    ReplyDelete

If you want to be entered to win a free set of string, please provide your name in the comment so I can properly enter you for the drawing.